Wednesday, April 7, 2010

SGI Buddhism

After reading about Hinduism, Islam, Buddhism, and Christianity, I felt I was most connected with Islam outside of my own religion. That may mainly because that I am a Catholic, hence the Islamic values seem more of something I felt akin to. However, I have not yet the chance to read Judaism, which I think will also offer a more interesting variety of religion to choose, since it is also embedded in similar beliefs. Naturally, I want to visit a Islamic service, however only to find out that I missed it just by a couple hrs after a phone call to a Muslim friend. In need of a religious service to attend (originally, I thought about Jewish services, yet since I didn't read the chapter, I may not understand it enough to appreciate the service from a different perspective.) I attended a Soka Gakkai International (SGI) Buddhism service.

One of my room mate is a member of the SGI group and invited me to go to one of their youth events. Though she was unable to go, I was accompanied by a really nice member of the group. The religion follows Buddhist Shakyamuni's teachings as if was taught by the Buddhist Reformer, Nichiren Daishonin, in Japan.

At first, I always thought Buddhism is something contrasting to Christianity. My understanding of Buddhism, through the text and personal experiences, is that the religion calls for a self-fostering and self-challenging. It calls for achieving spirituality through the individual work and meditation, not so much community orientated. While, Christianity is much more community oriented religion, where everyone is encouraged to help each other and obtain spirituality together. However this visit to the SGI changed my whole conception. Buddhism can be very community oriented too, especially at SGI.

The event was in preparation for a convention coming in the summer, where distinguish youth leaders are chosen to participate. What shock me the most in the visit, was how diverse the members are and how everyone cheered each other one, with a strong community atmosphere. The members were quick to react to the person leading the event, performing, or giving speech. Going to the service made realize that Buddhism can also foster a strong community, not necessarily only focusing on the individual.

No comments:

Post a Comment